Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Cool happenings on a HOT weekend



As I've posted in another post in this here blog, it's almost impossible to make a bad image at Barber Motorsports Park. You have to try real hard........or have an occasional brain fart. Sometimes it seems that I do both. I had my moments this weekend at the GRAND AM ROLEX Sportcar Series PORSCHE 250 Presented By Bradley Arant at the Barber Motorsports Park in Leeds, Alabama. (how's that for a title?)

I managed to pull it all together after blowing a shutter very early Saturday morning, and for some reason I didn't have my back-up camera with me. I didn't panic too much, had a friend there shooting his first motorsports event with me, so I figured I had Saturday covered.

I eased around the rest of the morning not doing too much and staying out of trouble. I got bored just sitting around, and thought I would give Skip a call just to 'shoot the shit'. I was telling him about some of the cool shots I was capturing, and other things going on here. Lots of good news from Barber, then we talked about of SEC football schedule. Then I told him the bad news about my shutter. I thought he would be here shooting, but when I talked to him, he reminded me his daughter was in a softball tournament in Panama City Beach, Florida, and he was on I-65 north pulling into Birmingham. He was about 30 minutes away, and driving within 2 or 3 miles of the track, and would loan me his new 40D to complete shooting the race.

What a life saver......not the candy kind, but the HERO kind. Skip buddy, I owe you a big 'un!!!!!

So here are a few of the images from both of our cameras with just a little commentary.


Cheever Racing driver Tom Kimber-Smith prepares for the start.


John Pew, driver for the Michael Shank Racing Team, has his game face on as he gives me a thumbs up.


This classy lady read her book on pit road all race long. This don't appear to be her first rodeo.


You would have to be a numb bum or drink too much rum bum......


This ROLEX / Koni official played traffic cop all weekend long. At this point he told me it was a slow weekend. He had not written any speeding tickets.


You don't see this at a NASCAR event.......


Office work stinks, I'd rather be outside, unless there's paperwork to do. do.


Cool hairdo......something like I would do.


Baby, it's hot, but not that hot. But I did see in the Chip Ganassi pit where the pitroad temp was 102 degrees. So maybe it was that hot.


You just have to keep hydrated. And occasionally empty the trash.


I caught these lovely lady's from Zoom Motorsports getting ready to party.


Patrick Dempsey (or Dr. McDreamy from the TV show Grays Anatomy)was here and driving on Sunday for the winning team on Saturday.


Remember the traffic cop?


And the winner is.......Chip Ganassi Racing. The crew chief low fives crew members.


Remember the girls with champagne?


What would victory lane be without champagne?


Boys will be boys....right? Notice winning driver Scott Pruitt in the background?


Everyone gets a good soaking, but why can't Scott open his champagne bottle?


Did Scott wait until just the right moment, like he does in so many race? Is this his new podium stra-tee-ger-ry? Or is this just his way of getting revenge for the soaking?


The 01 TELMEX Lexus Riley from the Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates Team driven by Scott Pruitt and Memo Rojas.

Well, I hope you enjoyed this little posting. I had a blast shooting it. I just hope the editors at the publication I was shooting for are happy with what I sent them. I haven't heard from them yet, so maybe they are.

'till later, dudes and dudettes...........

No comments: