Friday, August 14, 2009

Where Were You Forty Years Ago This Weekend?




I'll tell you where I was!
My parents took me to Woodstock!!!!!!
Not for the sex, drugs, and rock and roll.
Not for the 'Summer of Love'.
Just so we could see 500,000 people!

Seriously!

We ain't never seen that many people in one place at one time.
A half million hippies in one place.
We had to see that!

I had an aunt, uncle, and cousin who had just recently moved to Atlanta from a small town in South Carolina, but they were born and raised in Alabama, too.
Forty years ago this weekend, we went to the big A town to visit them.

All weekend long, we kept hearing on the local news reports about all the hippies that were gathered in Woodstock.
A half million of 'em.

Like I said, we ain't never seen that many people in one place at one time. The town I grew up in had maybe a thousand or fifteen hundred folks if you counted them twice.
So 500,000 people would be a sight to see.

Listening and watching all the news reports on TV that weekend was more than a bunch of naive, country folk from Alabama could stand.

Thats why we made the short drive up to Woodstock, Georgia!




On a more somber note, the father of the solid body electric guitar died yesterday.
Les Paul was 94 years old.
He also discovered multi-track recordings.
Both changed the recording industry forever.

The musicians in my family, and around the world will forever be grateful to him for both gifts.

Both images in this blog are of my sons SunBurst Custom Premium Plus Les Paul.
Like most Les Paul guitars, it has a beautiful full, hearty, and mellow sound.
Just like the master intended.

No comments: