Tuesday, September 22, 2009

No. No. No. No. No. No. OK, Yes I Will


A couple of weeks ago when I was shooting the night race in Atlanta, I was asked by someone from my wire service if I wanted to shoot the race in Richmond.
I told them 'No'.
Later that night, they asked me again.
Again, I said 'No'.
This happened a couple of more times after the race as we were working trying to get our images out.
Monday was Labor Day and I was at the river, kicked back relaxing, eating some BBQ and par-taking in some adult beverages, when my cell phone rang.
My wire service was calling me to personally ask me about shooting Richmond.
I said 'No'.
After I got home, I got on my laptop to check my e-mail, and I had an e-mail from the owner of the wire service, this time with the schedule for the weekend.
It didn't take much more to convince me I needed to go to Richmond for the weekend.

I got there about middle of the afternoon on Friday, a little later than I wanted, but I had plenty of time to shoot Cup qualifying. I walked into the photographers work room, and all of the places were taken. One of the other photogs told me I had a reserved spot, but some old wannabe, know-it-all, camera pointing, nerve wracking, button pusher, was sitting in MY reserved place. The old geezer told me he didn't think someone from my wire service would be there. Damn him!!!!


It's a much different atmosphere from some of the other tracks I shoot at.
You get more access. Here Jimmie Johnson and Matt Kenseth share driving secrets.


I was looking for something a little different, someway to shoot the pole winner that was not the ordinary, standard image we usually see. I tried my luck at adding the people on pit road, the venue, and the sky and clouds.
I didn't think it worked.
Mark Martin went out early, and I was looking through my shots from his run to see if I had anything to post when I found this one.
It worked better than I thought.


The Nationwide race started later that night.
Here is the standard Kyle Busch images from that race.


Not much happened during that race. Kinda boring for Richmond.
The only action I was was when Jason Leffler blew a tire and left a trail of sparks behind his car.


As luck would have it, I was standing in an empty pit stall that was next to the 38 team. I shot a bunch of images of the crew working on Leffler's car. As I turned to watch him drive off, I noticed his left front tire come off.
When it rains, it pours.


Just a boring image of Brendan Gaughan (62) and Carl Edwards (60) racing side by side at Richmond.


Carl Edwards won the Nationwide race. As we all know, he has a broken foot, so that means he can do his customary backflip from his car, right?
Well, this old wannabe, know-it-all, camera pointing, nerve wracking, button pusher, came back into the photographers workroom after the race and said in a very loud voice 'Hey ya'll, I must be the biggest dumbass of all, 'cause I just crossed the pit wall and ran out the track to get a shot of Carl Edwards doin' his backflip, and after he just drove on by, I remembered he's got a broke foot'.
Yep.


Saturday promised to be a long day. I got there early. Not much happening in the garage, but I had to post something anyway.


Pit tours and all the other B.S.
No drivers.
Anywhere.


Later in the afternoon, the pre-race concert began.
Today's band was All-American Rejects.
Here lead guitar player Nick Wheeler plays his Gibson Firebird (I've always had a soft spot for this guitar).


All-American Rejects lead singer Tyson Ritter.


Finally, after a long race and a short rain delay, the 'Chase For The Cup' sould be decided in a few hours.
Kevin Harvick (29) and Scott Speed (82) race early in the Chevy Rock and Roll 400.


Just looking for something different. Brian Vickers works had to make the 'Chase'.


Just a few laps into the race, Scott Speed spins his Red Bull Toyota. It's Richmond, and a short track, you have to expect a few spins, right?


During the caution, I was in position to shoot a few pit stops from my high vantage point. Denny Hamlin's crew works on his car.


Jeff Gordon (24) leads Denny Hamlin (11) during the Chevy Rock and Roll 400.


I'm beginning to feel lucky. Tony Stewart (14) gets turned by Reed Sorenson (43).


Well, while I'm still up there, why not shoot more pit stops during the caution, right?
This image of Jimmie Johnson was used by USA Today and several other papers.


OK.....it's starting to get boring. Side by side action of Juan Pablo Montoya (42) and Jeff Burton (31).


Just the standard slow shutter speed image i've been doing lately.
It's getting old. Kinda.....


You gotta have a Jeff Gordon Image.


I thought the brake dust coming from the wheel made this A J Allmendinger pit stop a little different.


Kurt Busch during the Chevy Rock and Roll 400.


Denny Hamlin would win tonight's race. I got a shot of him as he crossed the finish line. Not much to it. He did his customary burnout. Way too much tire smoke, I could hardly see his car.
Then he got out of his car, stood on the window ledge, and pumped his arms as he was celebrating.
This image was picked up by ESPN.


USA Today and several other papers and website used this image in victory lane.


After waiting what seemed like a very long time, well after midnight, NASCAR finally got the 'Chase' driver together for a group photo.
I had been transmitting earlier, but decided I needed to go out early so I could get a good group shot of the drivers. I was way late. All I could do was stand to the side and do a 'Hail Mary'.
I missed the one shot I was in Richmond for.
I hope my editors will forgive me.


OK....A lesson to NASCAR.
Don't give champagne to the drivers.
They waste it!

No comments: