Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Rain, Rain Go Away


I went down to Auburn this past Saturday night to shoot the Ball State vs Auburn game for my wire service.
It's the first football game that I've been able to shoot this year.
I hope I get to shoot a lot more.
Like next week.
I've got to go to Knoxville to shoot the Auburn vs Tennessee game in Neyland Stadium.
A hundred thousand Big Orange fans in one place.
Jeepers.
I hope my Tigers can makes lots of orange juice.


I always plan on shooting 'Tiger Walk' when I get the opportunity to shoot an Auburn game. No matter where they are playin'.
It's always good. It's the original. Now everyone want's to do it.
Tiger Walk takes place two hours before gametime.
Guess what happened as soon as Tiger Walk got near the stadium?
Rain. And lots of it. Lots.
Game time was held back about 45 minutes for the second time in two weeks.
Lots of rain.
This stadium grounds worker decided to give up and come back in, but it was too late.


I don't know how much water came falling down out of the sky, but many buckets full fell in a very short period of time. Not like last week, when over four inches fell in about thirty minutes, but enough that it was beginning to back up in just a few minutes.


This storm drain was backed up with about four or five inches of water in just a couple of minutes. One of the local police told me during last weeks rain event, that the water backed up about a foot deep in this same storm drain.
So much for the water.
On to the main event.


It is my first game to shoot this year, and I was a little rusty, but sometimes I was in the right place at the right time.
Here, Auburn defensive end Michael Goggans chases down Ball State quarterback Kelly Page.


After Auburn spotted Ball State a touchdown early, Tigers receiver Terrell Zachery stiff arms Kyle Kuntz after making a catch.


Auburn quarterback Chris Todd sets up to pass as the rain keeps falling.


Mario Fannin had a decent night for Auburn. He had three catches for 55 yards. Here he's on his way to a 36 yard touchdown.


Chris Todd passed for five touchdowns on Saturday night. He also had 287 yards passing with 19 completions. Not bad for someone that had shoulder surgery during the off season.


After Darvin Adams scored on a long pass play, Terrell Zachery helped him celebrate in the endzone. Here they strike a pose.


Ben Tate always runs hard. He's beginning to carry more of the load when the game winds down.


Eric Williams of Ball State reaches the ball out towards the goal line, but it was late in the game.
Too little, too late.


And it wouldn't be football without a picture of head coach Gene Chizick in action, now would it?
Ball State put 30 points on Auburn, but most of them came when the backups were playing late in the game. A lot of people around here seem to be concerned about the Tigers defense. They are a little thin, but I think coach is trying to get his troops a little 'sperience.
Maybe it'll be enough Saturday night in K town.

No comments: