Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A Busch, a Miller Lite, and a Bugaboo


Well, it was a long, hard, and kinda weird ending to this past weekend.
The Miller Lite Dodge of Kurt Busch dominated the race.
Dominated!
He was in a class by himself.
I'm glad the driver that won appreciates winning.
Some of them have won so much recently, they don't seem to appreciate it.
Or maybe they expect it.
I'm just glad it was someone different.


At the beginning of the day Sunday, it was just a pack of cars riding around. I think they were still a little skiddish about the tire situation that happened last year.
Tires were still in question, but this time they were so hard, the cars skated around like they were on ice.
I was shooting from the roof of the tower at the end of the backstretch, and could read the numbers on lots of cars as they came sliding around turn two.


And it's not very healthy to come out of turn two three wide.


It was so boring for the first half of the race that I begin to shoot some wide angle stuff.
I thought the blue sky and the big ol white fluffy clouds looked good.
I just wish the grandstands had more racefans in them.


Finally, going into turn four, Bobby LaBonte spins.


I watched Sam Hornish jr. get out of shape most of the first half of the race.
I could read his number almost every time he came out of turn two.
He was in turn one when his right rear tire blew.
This is whats left of his car when he came by me.


Then in turn two, pole winner Mark Martin explodes a tire. That was the end of his day.


When I see a group of cars racing hard into and out of turn four, I try to follow the action around the track just in case something happens.
Sometimes you get lucky.
Here Greg Biffle gets tagged and spins out. In the frame before this one, he is airborne, but he is also hidden behind the Sunoco fuel sign.


Then the engines begin to explode. David Reutimann is dropping an oil and water mixture on the track from his exhaust. When oil and water mix inside an engine block, the churning of the crankshaft makes a foamy gray mixture.
It's not good when hot, oily foam and slick tires meet.


Then the 20 car of Joey Lagano starts to smoke.
He was in the way most of the day and the other drivers kept hitting him from behind. I saw him get booted up the track numerous times.
I think someone got into the back of him and caused a tire rub.
He'll have to put up with a lot more of this until he gains more experience.
It may be a long time. He ain't ready.


Like I said earlier, Kurt Busch won.
I'm glad.
So is his little bro, Kyle.
Here, Kyle congratulates his big brother.


As I said at the top of this post, I like to see someone win that appreciates winning.
Kurt drove around the track in reverse with the checkered flag flying out the window.


What did a Bugaboo have to do with this post?
After every Saturday race in Atlanta, me and Skip go eat at Bugaboo Creek Steak House in Fayetteville.
You can find us sitting in the bar(we get seated faster).
We usually hang out and shoot the shit with the Petty bunch. No, not Richard and Kyle, but Robby Loomis and his posse'.
They didn't show this time.
Oh well.....


Gotta have red meat.


Skip thought i've gone crazy since i've got a new little point and shoot.
Maybe I was a little annoying.


AAaaahhhhhh..........
Life on the road as a sports photographer.
It's kinda neat until you get back to your room.
Download images, do any corrections that are needed, burn disks, do whats necessary.
It's not all glamour.

No comments: