Monday, October 6, 2008

If you're gonna do it anyway........

you might as well do it in front of me.
That's what the inhabitants of our turn 2 tower were talking about this weekend as we were shooting the AMP ENERGY 500 at Talladega SuperSpeedway yesterday.
I had to start off with this image of the sun setting over Talladega SuperSpeedway Friday. I thought it was pretty cool.


It got really crowded on Saturday and Sunday. Everyone wanted to capture the 'BIG UN' like I did twice during the ARCA event Friday afternoon, so we had lots of impatient shooters visit us the rest of the weekend.
Just remember......sometimes you get the doughnut, sometimes you get the hole!
Friday, I got the whole box of doughnuts, Saturday, I got the holes.


As you know by now, Junior crashed during practice on Friday and he had to use his back-up car for the race. One of the promotions that AMP Energy was running for this event, you could have been one of 73,000 lucky people to have your name on Juniors car. Now I know what the big deal was with him going to his back-up car. Look at all the names!!!!


At Talladega, you know they're gonna have the 'BIG UN', and it can happen anywhere, anytime.
I captured this one on lap 13.


Ken Butler III was involved in the lap 13 wreck and came to a stop almost in front of the tower we were on before the fire extinguished itself.


Ken Butler III exits his toasted racecar.


After that, about halfway through the race, the 99 car got airborne going down the backstretch. WOW!!!!! Three money shots in the first half of the ARCA race with lots more racing to go this weekend.


On Saturday, the 10 getting sideways was the only excitement (on the racetrack) that we saw. There was other interesting things going on in the grandstands that I can't post in this blog. Really!!!!!


See how boring it was on the track...... who wants to see a pack of trucks?


Sunday started off with a patriotic showing by a couple of good ol' boys. Thanks Guys...


I heart 48
He heart 88
We are still married

ain't that sweet?



After a disappointing Saturday, we were hoping if they were gonna do it, that it would happen in front of us. We went from three photographers on Friday, to eleven, at one point, on Sunday. Our turn 2 tower was full with photographers wanting to capture the 'BIG UN'. Oh, they tried several times. All we were getting was a few crumbs like a blown tire on the 33 car mid-way through the race.


And I caught it hitting the 55 car of Michael Waltrip.


My brain starts to wander in my thick ol' noggin' when the race gets boring. Our picture editor, Mr. Bazemore, always tells me to keep that Getty shit to myself. Sometimes you have to try and make your own doughnuts.


Just another case of my 'inner Getty' coming out.


And again........ here come my Getty


Then Denny Hamlin blows a tire and hits the wall going in to turn 2 and his car stays against the wall before coming to a stop directly in front of our tower. The safety workers ran up to his car and realized he was hurt. I shot this image as they were putting Hamlin on the gurney to take him to the ambulance. Hamlin was hospitilized overnight for observation, and released early today.
They decided to give the doughnuts to others, but they did break off some crumbs for us to nibble on.
This image of Hamlin has been published today in the Washington Post, Houston Chronicle, Anchorage Daily News, News Observer from the Raliegh/Durham/Cary N.C. area, Sacramento Bee, San Francisco Chronicle, and USA Today.
I've had better weekends, image wise, but i've had lots worse, also.

No comments: