Monday, December 3, 2007

Well, imagine you being here......

As I was walking through the tunnel to take the field for Saturday's Southeastern Conference Championship game between LSU and Tennessee, there was a man standing all by himself looking out into the Georgia Dome at the pre-game show put on by both bands.

As I got close to him, he turned and looked at me and I instantly recognized him. NASCAR driver and a lifelong Tennessee Vol fan, Sterling Marlin. I opened my mouth and immediately that phrase jumped out. "Well imagine you being here". He just laughed and said he thought he would catch a ballgame since he didn't have anything else to do on a Saturday night.

I asked him about his Cup schedule for 2008 and he stated he was only running a limited number of Cup races this year, but may drive some local events around Nashville. I was trying to get him to come to the Talladega Short Track and run the Ice Bowl on January 6, but he said he would leave that to Ken Schrader and Kenny Wallace.

As I was talking to him, a strange thought occured to me, he could be the long lost brother to my friend Wren Turner. Sterling talks like Wren, looks like Wren (with blonde hair), and his mannerisms are mearly identical. And all either one of them knows how to do is drive a race car. Sterling just had better opportunities to get started.

It's amazing who you can meet if you just keep your eyes open at an event like this.

No comments: